27 October 2006

A moth

As fellow knitters, be ready for gasps of shock and pain at this story. (Oh, I understand it could be worse.) I found a moth. Okay, really I found a cocoon. It was on a recipe sitting under the red bowl pictured in a previous post. It wasn't on the recipe when it found its way under the bowl. But it was there when I pulled it out to file it. I believe there may have been a panic attack, but since I have no memory of this due to the lack of oxygen getting into my system at this point, I don't know. All I know is I went to the Internet and found out that really there is nothing one can do about moths and yarn. Freezing is an urban legend. Microwaving can damage your yarn. All that I could do was invest in ziploc bags and pray. I have gallon size bags and 2.5 gallon bags now enveloping the yarn collection. I lovingly took out each skein of yarn and placed it in a bag. I couldn't even form sentences while doing this process. Rich was forced into silence because I was panicking too much and seeing the end of my yarn collection. I couldn't have external conversation going on concurrently with the internal screams of dread. I packaged the yarn by project and type. I'm hoping, if there are moths, they are the cotton/acrylic eating types. I put that yarn in the top drawer, just to be more inviting. Please little moths, go there. Please. Not the cashmere. Please.

Wrap up your yarn now. Triple wrap it. Do you think its overkill to take all of the ziplocs and put them into rubbermaid? And then take that rubbermaid and put it inside of rubbermaid. Or that just a practical decision?

1 comment:

loriev said...

Really? The freezer is a myth? We're in trouble now. I've got moths flying around, but no cashmere, so less panicing. Ziploc away and Rubbermaid, too. Why not, I say.