13 July 2007

New Yarn Store in town

I went to the latest addition to great yarn stores in Portland today. It is way up north from my house, but well worth the drive. Twisted lived up to its homepage promise of friendliness and unique yarns. The women running the shop (I apologize for forgetting to ask their names) were warm, knowledgeable, friendly, and people I would love to hang out with and knit. They were eager to share their store and yarns and I can't wait to go back! They carry unique yarns like yarntini and Karen's Heavenly Creations, as well as more well known brands like Debbie Bliss, Noro, and Schusterman. It was fantastic to see all of the choices and to know that more are coming every day. I'm sad to say for Lorie's sake that they arrange yarns mostly by brand and not by weight (her favorite way of organizing), but I felt like the owners were so friendly and knowledgeable that if I were seeking a specific weight, they would be eager to help me find it. Definitely a must see on any trips to Portland!

Rich is still in Australia. Word has it that he has purchased 12 (TWELVE) skeins of yarn for me. At least 6 are JJ's and 6 are Australian. He went to a lovely yarn shop in Sydney called The Knitting Room. The owner helped him select yarn for me and I can't wait to see what he's purchased. Rumor has it, she will ship to us up here too. So if anyone needs new JJ's, you know where to find it. If you haven't experienced JJ's yarn yet, it's lovely. Fiber Trends carries it in the US, but its more expensive than purchasing it in New Zealand or Australia. And her colorways are fantastic.

Writing of colorways, I purchased two skeins at Twisted today. I got a skein of Noro Silk Garden Lite in a pink multicolored skein to make a scarf for Miss Hannah, since I made her sister a new scarf. I also couldn't resist a skein of Karen's Heavenly Creations in Confetti to make a fun scarf for myself. I'll photograph later. If anyone knows of a ruffly scarf pattern for a five year-old, please send me a link. I need something cute and easy for this scarf.

1 comment:

loriev said...

Wow, I can't wait for a field trip to Twisted and to see your JJ's and other yarn from down under. LV